Nobody likes a dirty carpet. Not ready to pay? Follow these strategies to revitalize your carpet with White Wizard Stain Remover and keep it looking new and fresh for years.
Banish Dirt and Revitalize Your Carpet
When you walk across a dirty carpet, you grind sharp dirt particles against the yarn, making tiny nicks in the fibers. All that fuzz mixed in with the dirt in your vacuum cleaner bags is your beautiful carpet headed out the door one bag at a time. Follow these tips to keep your carpet as dirt-free as possible.
- Vacuum often. Vacuum entrance areas and high-traffic areas twice a week and the rest of the carpeting at least weekly. Frequent vacuuming will reduce soil buildup.
- Start with a clean bag or filter. A dirty bag, dirt cup, or filter can cut a vacuum’s suction power in half. Replace or wash (if possible) the filters on bagless vacuums every three months. Replace vacuum bags when they’re three-quarters full. Click here for how to clean and maintain your vacuum.
- Vacuum at the right speed. Vacuum slowly enough to get out as much dirt as possible. Run the vacuum in one direction the first time. Vacuum the carpet in the opposite direction the second time. Be thorough.
How to Use a Carpet Shampooer
DIY carpet cleaning machines can be effective to revitalize your carpet if you understand how to use them and carefully clean your carpet.
Don’t put a cleaning solution in the carpet cleaner. The soap sinks into the carpet, and it’s almost impossible to get it all back out. Dirt and dust particles stick to the residue making it difficult to get your carpet completely clean.
Instead of a cleaning solution, fill the tank with hot water and use this over most of the carpet. For high traffic areas, pretreat them with White Wizard Stain Remover before going over the stain with the hot water in the carpet cleaner. Allow the pretreatment to sit for 10 minutes.
- Don’t over wet the carpet. DIY machines put a lot of moisture into the carpet, and most don’t have strong enough suction to extract them thoroughly. Make two passes with the hot water. Then make two or three drying passes with the water off.
- Let it dry thoroughly. Wet carpet is a perfect environment for mold and mildew. After cleaning your carpets, open the windows, use fans, and a dehumidifier, or put the AC on a moderate setting (72 to 78 degrees) to remove excess moisture from the air. Don’t replace the furniture or walk on the carpet until it’s completely dry. Drying can take up to 12 hours, though six to eight hours is typical.
- Vacuum well before and after cleaning Vacuum beforehand to remove large particles of soil. Vacuum again after you clean, and the carpet is completely dry to pick up soil that wicks to the surface during drying.
Clean Stains Right Away
- Don’t dig or scoop food spills. Digging or scooping can work the stain into the carpet. If there are solids on top of the stain, use a spoon or dull knife to carefully scrape the food toward the middle of the spill and into a towel.
- Act quickly If you get to a stain immediately, there’s a 99 percent chance you can remove it. The longer a stain reacts chemically with the carpeting, the harder it is to remove.
- Try water first Eighty percent of stains can be removed using plain tap water. To remove a stain, press a clean, dry, white cloth over the stain to absorb the spill. Repeat until the spill is absorbed. Then gently work water into the stain with a damp white towel and blot until it is gone. Change the cloth when necessary. Use a fan to dry the area if it’s very wet.
- Blot-don’t rub or scrub Scrubbing a stain will damage the fibers and create a fuzzy area. Always blot from the outer edge toward the center of the stain to avoid spreading the spot and creating a larger problem.
- Be patient Work water gently into the spill and then blot with a dry cloth. Repeat until the stain is gone, and all the water has been absorbed. If you’re patient, you’ll almost always be able to remove the stain.
Use White Wizard on Tough Stains
If water alone doesn’t remove a stain, apply White Wizard Stain Remover. Follow package directions. Repeat as necessary.